We have an 80s music trivia quiz along with a lyrics round to guess and name that song. What an epic decade for music! The 1980s gave us so great genres from New Wave to Punk, R&B to Hip Hop, and big hair Rock to amazing Pop. There really was something for everyone and it was a decade to be epic in music.
1. In what year did Michael Jackson release the Bad album?
2. Who duetted with Madonna on ‘Love Song’ on her ‘Like A Prayer’ album?
3. Who told us to ‘Relax’?
Frankie Goes To Hollywood
4. What was the biggest selling single of the 80s in the UK?
Do They Know It’s Christmas? – Band Aid
5. Who ‘just called to say they loved you’?
6. What was the theme song for the 1982 film, Rocky III?
Eye of the Tiger
7. Name the band fronted by the singer Sting.
8. Which British ska band sang about their ‘Baggy Trousers’?
9. Mick Jagger and David Bowie had a hit with which song?
Dancing in the Street
10. Who sang the hits ‘Locomotion’, ‘I Should Be So Lucky’, and ‘Hand on Your Heart’?
11. Which Lionel Ritchie song is also a salutation?
12. Which famous Beatle wrote ‘We All Stand Together’ for the film ‘Rupert and the Frog Chorus’?
13. Which Journey song from the 80s saw a revival in popularity thanks to the tv show Glee?
Don’t Stop Believin’
14. Who sang ‘Girls Just Want To Have Fun’?
15. What was the first music video aired on the brand new MTV channel launched in 1981?
‘Video Killed The Radio Star’ – The Buggles
16. “Little Lies’ was a hit for which band?
17. What film was the Kenny Loggins song “Danger Zone’ the theme song for?
18. Which Irish band released the albums ‘War’, ‘The Unforgettable Fire’, and ‘The Joshua Tree’?
19. ‘Straight Outta Compton’ was a game-changing album in hiphop by which group?
20. ‘Sledgehammer’ by Peter Garbriel knocked his former band off the number 1 spot of the billboard hot 100. What was the name of the band?
Genesis – ‘Invisible Touch’
21. ‘What’s Love Got To Do With It’ was a Grammy-award-winning song for which artist?
22. Who wrote and sang the hit ‘9 to 5’ as well as star in the film of the same name?
23. Who wanted to ‘fight for your right to party’?
24. Which rocketman had a hit with ‘I’m Still Standing’?
25. Which artist was the most charted British female solo act of the 1980s and famed for singing ‘Kid’s in America’?
26. The song ‘Aint’ Nobody’ was a hit for which funk band and singer?
Rufus and Chaka Khan
27. Which Rick Astley song became number one in 25 countries?
Never Gonna Give You Up
28. Which Simple Minds song features in the opening and closing credits of the film ‘The Breakfast Club’?
Don’t You (Forget About Me)
29. Which Motown legend had a hit in the 80’s with ‘Chain Reaction’?
30. Which band had the hit ‘Atomic’?
31. In what year did The Bangles release ‘Eternal Flame’?
32. ‘The Power of Love’ by Huey Lewis and The News was the theme song to which blockbuster film in 1985?
Back To The Future
33. Which band sang about ‘Money for Nothing’?
34. Who sang the hit ‘Celebration’ in 1981?
Kool and the Gang
35. The Motown group ‘The Four Tops’ had a surprise UK hit in 1988 singing about having fun in which Mexican city?
36. Which hip hop group did a cover and collaboration on the Aerosmith song ‘Walk This Way’?
37. Which famously reclusive artist is known for the hits ‘Babooshka’, ‘Army Dreamers’, and ‘Cloudbusting’?
38. Which Irish woman gave us ‘Orinoco Flow’?
39. ‘Fast Car’ and ‘Baby Can I Hold You’ were hits for which singer-songwriter?
40. Neil Tennant and Chris Lowe form which English synth-pop duo?
Pet Shop Boys
80s Name That Song – 10 Questions and Answers
41. “I’m never gonna dance again, Guilty feet have got no rhythm”
Careless Whisper by George Michael
42. “ I’m gonna live forever, I’m gonna learn how to fly (high)”
Fame by Irene Cara
43. “Clock strikes upon the hour, And the sun begins to fade”
I Wanna Dance With Somebody by Whitney Houston
44. “If there’s something strange, in your neighbourhood”
Ghostbusters by Ray Parker Jr.
45. “Loving would be easy if your colours were like my dreams”
Karma Chameleon by Culture Club
46. “You were working as a waitress in a cocktail bar”
Don’t You Want Me – The Human League
47. “The clouds never expect it when it rains, But the sea changes colours, but the sea does not change”
Edge of Seventeen – Stevie Nicks
48. “Tommy used to work on the docks, union’s been on strike, He’s down on his luck, it’s tough, so tough”
Living on a Prayer – Bon Jovi
49. “You can’t start a fire, you can’t start a fire without a spark”
Dancing in the Dark – Bruce Springsteen
50. “Hot summer streets and the pavements are burning, I sit around, Trying to smile, but the air is so heavy and dry”
Cruel Summer – Bananarama
Download the 80s Music Trivia Questions and Answers
Would you like a free copy of the 80s music trivia to download and print at home? We have put the 50 music questions and answers together in a beautiful printable PDF in both A4 and US Letter paper size.
To get your free PDF simply fill in the box below and you will be emailed the access link to the free resource library where you can select your chosen paper size and download to save to your computer at home.
Have fun with the 80s music trivia quiz. Happy quizzing!